Andrew McKay 12/08/19
Larry Keefe, US Attorney:
- There is no ongoing threat to the community
- 24/7 resources are in place.
- Comfortable for any member of his family to be out in public
- Praises herosim of ECSO deputies and military security forces.
Rachel Rojas, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jacksonville:
- Robustly praises Escambia County Sheriff’s training and heroism of deputies in response.
- Confirms identity of shooter as 21 year-old 2nd Lieutenant in Royal Saudi Air Force who was a student Naval Flight Officer (NFO, Back Seat) at Naval Aviation Schools Command
- Asks for patience on motive investigation
- Several Saudi students were close to the shooter who continue to cooperate with investigation
- Saudi CO has restricted all Saudi students to Base.
- Investigators working both the terrorism and also criminal dimensions of the case, open to whichever direction the investigation leads them
- Working on the premise this is was an act of terrorism, which is the standard assumption in cases like this.
- No information supporting an ongoing credible threat to our community.
- Working to discern any ideology behind the attack.
- 80 special agents and investigators by FBI, plus many resources by ATF, NCIS, HSI, FDLE, and state and local agencies.
- Continuing to conduct interviews of classmates and associates.
- Trying to confirm whether he acted alone or with others.
- Only one gunman, and no arrests have been made in this case.
- Nothing you have seen is too small to be reported. 1 800 CALL FBI
- Glock 45 9mm was lawfully purchased and was the weapon used. Purchased in Florida.
- Refuses to comment on reports of dinner party with videos watched or of students recording the attack or any other aspect of the investigation so far.
- Working with every single international partner available.